Frequently Asked Questions

We have the answers to all your supply teaching jobs questions


Here are some of the questions we are frequently asked by teachers and support workers. If you can't find the answer you are looking for here please contact your local branch and we will do our best to answer your query.

Can Protocol Education help me become a teacher?

We find work for qualified teachers with recent classroom experience and experienced support assistants. We cannot help you get a teaching qualification directly. Protocol Education may be able to find work for those with experience of working with children or young people, work as a support worker or degree qualified instructor.

Can anybody work for Protocol Education?

Mostly we work with qualified teachers and teaching assistants who are either qualified or experienced (or both). However there are now more opportunities to work in schools for people who have suitable transferable skills and experience such as:

  • Youth work

  • Sports coaching

  • Care work

  • Degrees in relevant academic subjects

  • We can also help you find some voluntary work in schools to get you a little experience and enable us to find you paid work.

What qualifications/references do I need to work for Protocol Education?

To work as a teacher we require that you possess a valid teaching qualification, have recent experience of teaching and are able to provide at least two references from recent teaching placements. In order to work as a nursery nurse you must hold a relevant qualification and have at least two professional references covering the last two years. For support workers, we are more flexible, you do not need a qualification, but some experience is preferred. We can help you find this through voluntary positions. In terms of referencing we require 2 recent references including one from your most recent employer. Everyone working for Protocol Education must possess a full clear DBS check.

What type of work do you offer?

We offer daily supply work, long-term supply work (such as covering a maternity leave or long-term sickness) as well as finding full-time permanent positions within schools and nurseries. As well as classroom based roles we are seeing an increasing demand for tutors,intervention and SEND specialists to work with children individually or in small groups outside of the classroom.

Where can I work?

We have branches across the UK and provide opportunities in primary, secondary and special schools as well as private and state nurseries, academies, independent schools and family centres. Even if we do not have an office location where you want to work we can still help you via our network of field sales consultants.

How do I register with Protocol Education?

The simplest way is to register online. Alternatively you can find your local branch and call them directly.

How much do I get paid?

The level of pay depends on the type of work that you do and your level of experience. You will be able to set your daily rate expectations at interview with your consultant. We pay a daily rate of pay which is highly competitive. You are paid weekly, directly into your bank account.

Do you register Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs)?

Yes. Protocol Education has perhaps more experience than any other agency in finding work in the UK for teachers from overseas. In order to be considered you must possess a teaching qualification from an EU country, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or South Africa. Teachers who qualified in other countries will need to contact UK NARIC to ensure their qualification is equivalent.

What assistance do you provide for teachers relocating to the UK?

Our overseas consultants can help find you a job in the UK before you leave. Additionally we are able to give help and advice on visas, work permits and locations, and our Teacher Services Department helps you with accommodation and setting up a UK bank account.

How often will I get paid?

Protocol Education pay all staff on a weekly basis. Payment is subject to us receiving a signed/approved timesheet for the work completed.

How do I fill in my timesheet correctly?

The easiest way is to follow the instructions as set out in our "How to Complete your Timesheet" guide.

What are the deadlines for submission of my timesheets?

Your timesheets need to reach Payroll by 6pm on Monday evening to ensure payment for that Friday

How do I send you my timesheet?

The best way to get your timesheet to us is by fax on 020 8237 4424. We have recently installed extra fax capacity so you should be able to get your timesheet through to us even at the busiest periods. You can also scan and email your timesheet to payroll@protocol-education.com (saving the file as a TIF file is the best, but PDFs and JPGs are also acceptable).

How will I know my timesheet is being processed?

Every time a timesheet you have sent in is processed (i.e. matched to your booking on our system and therefore confirmed for payment) you will be sent a text message informing you that all is well. If by Monday evening you have not received a text message for every timesheet you sent in from the previous week, then please call the payroll department on 0207 618 4180 between 8:15 and 11am on a Tuesday morning. During this time we will help track down the problem and rectify it in time for you to get paid as per normal. So remember, your text message not only means we have your timesheet but we are processing your pay, saving you the time and cost of calling in to us.

Got a question we haven't covered? Ask it via the form or contact your local branch..

Ask a Question