All you need to know about working with Protocol Education

Here are some of the questions teachers and support workers frequently ask us. If you can't find the answer you are looking for here, please contact your local branch or submit a new question below, and we will do our best to answer your query.

Can Protocol Education help me become a teacher?

We find work for qualified teachers with recent classroom experience and experienced support assistants. We cannot help you get a teaching qualification directly. Protocol Education may be able to find work for those with experience working with children or young people, such as a support worker or degree-qualified instructor.

Can anybody work for Protocol Education?

Mostly, we work with qualified teachers and teaching assistants who are either qualified or experienced (or both). However, there are now more opportunities to work in schools for people who have suitable transferable skills and experience, such as:

  • Youth work

  • Sports coaching

  • Care work

  • Degrees in relevant academic subjects

We can also help you find some voluntary work in schools to get you some experience and enable us to find you paid work.

What qualifications/references do I need to work for Protocol Education?

To work as a teacher, we require that you possess a valid teaching qualification, have recent experience in teaching and can provide at least two references from recent teaching placements. To work as a nursery nurse, you must have a relevant qualification and at least two professional references covering the last two years. For support workers, we are more flexible; you do not need a qualification, but some experience is preferred. We can help you find this through voluntary positions. Regarding referencing, we require two recent references, including one from your most recent employer. Everyone working for Protocol Education must possess a full, clear DBS check.

What type of work do you offer?

We offer daily, long-term supply work (such as covering maternity leave or long-term sickness) and finding full-time permanent positions within schools and nurseries. As well as classroom-based roles, we are seeing an increasing demand for tutors, intervention and SEND specialists to work with children individually or in small groups outside the classroom.

Where can I work?

We have branches across the UK and provide opportunities in primary, secondary and special schools, private and state nurseries, academies, independent schools and family centres. Even if we do not have an office location where you want to work, we can still help you via our network of field sales consultants.

How do I register with Protocol Education?

The simplest way is to register online. Alternatively, you can find your local branch and call them directly.

How much do I get paid?

The pay level depends on the type of work you do and your level of experience. You can set your daily rate expectations at the interview with your consultant. We pay a daily rate of pay, which is highly competitive. You are paid weekly directly into your bank account.

Do you register Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs)?

Yes. Protocol Education has perhaps more experience than any other agency in finding work in the UK for teachers from overseas. To be considered, you must possess a teaching qualification from an EU country, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or South Africa. Teachers who qualified in other countries must contact UK NARIC to ensure their qualification is equivalent.

What assistance do you provide for teachers relocating to the UK?

Our overseas consultants can help find you a job in the UK before you leave. Additionally, we can help and advise on visas, work permits, and locations and our Teacher Services Department helps you with accommodation and setting up a UK bank account.

How often will I get paid?

Protocol Education pay all staff on a weekly basis. Payment is subject to us receiving a signed/approved time sheet for the work completed.

How do I fill in my time sheet correctly?

The easiest way is to follow the instructions as set out in our "How to Complete your Time sheet" guide.

What are the deadlines for submission of my time sheets?

Your time sheets must reach Payroll by 6 p.m. on Monday to ensure payment for that Friday.

How do I send you my time sheet?

The best way to get your time sheet to us is by fax on 020 8237 4424. We have recently installed extra fax capacity, so you should be able to get your timesheet through to us even during the busiest periods. You can also scan and email your timesheet to payroll@protocol-education.com (saving the file as a TIF file is the best, but PDFs and JPGs are also acceptable).

How will I know my timesheet is being processed?

Every time a timesheet you have sent in is processed (i.e. matched to your booking on our system and therefore confirmed for payment), you will be sent a text message informing you that all is well. If you have not received a text message for every timesheet you sent in from the previous week by Monday evening, please call the payroll department on 0203 219 7770 between 8:15 and 11 a.m. on a Tuesday morning. We will help track down the problem and rectify it in time for you to get paid as normal. So remember, your text message not only means we have your timesheet, but we are processing your pay, saving you the time and cost of calling into us.

Ask a question

If we haven't covered the topic you are interested in here let us know here: